The BC Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services recently issued its Report on the Budget 2017 Consultations, in which it makes recommendations to the Minister of Finance regarding 2017 provincial budget allocations.
The Committee made the following recommendations for Arts and Culture funding:
79. Increase provincial per capita funding to support the growing number of artists in B.C. and the vibrant creative economy, and provide increased, stable, multi-year funding for arts, culture and heritage organizations to promote, educate and support B.C.’s arts community. (2014: #47 and 2015: #53)
80. Ensure local communities can access provincial and federal funding to celebrate and promote Canada’s 150th anniversary of confederation (sesquicentennial) celebrations in 2017.
81. Restore gaming grants to 2008 levels ($156 million from the current $134 million) and provide incremental increases as gaming revenues increase. (2014: #47 and 2015: #54)
Since 2013, the Committee has consistently recommended that investments to the BC Arts Council and Arts and Culture Community Gaming Grants be increased (see Report on the Budget 2016 Consultations, Report on the Budget 2015 Consultations, and Report on the Budget 2014 Consultations). However, the BC Arts Council’s budget has not increased since 2013-14 and Community Gaming Grant levels are still below those of 2008.
PAARC is asking BC artists, cultural workers, arts patrons, and audiences to mobilize by writing to their MLA; Minister of Finance, Michael de Jong; and Minister of Community, Sports and Cultural Development, Peter Fassbender, in support of a strong and vibrant arts and culture sector in BC. Write to your provincial representative and ask them to advocate in favour of increased arts funding in BC. Follow these easy steps to make your voice heard:
- Download the letter templates: letter to Minister of Finance, Letter to Minister of Community, Sports and Cultural Development, and letter to MLA.
- Personalize the letters by filling in the blanks and including a short statement about your artistic practice/organization and what increased arts funding means to you/your organization.
- Send letters to: Michael de Jong, Minister of Finance (firstname.lastname@example.org), Peter Fassbender, Minister of Community, Sports and Cultural Development (peter.fassbender.MLA@leg.bc.ca), and your MLA. Click here to find your MLA’s contact information.
- Spread the word! Help us send as many letters as possible by December 20th, 2016. Ask your network to participate in this campaign.
- show your support! Download Facebook profile image and Download Facebook post image